A conviction in a criminal case can have disastrous consequences for the defendant, including jail or prison time, heavy fines, and other serious penalties. If you have been wrongfully convicted or had an unjustly harsh sentence imposed on you in trial, it is important to consult with a criminal appeals lawyer as soon as possible. Your best option might be to appeal your criminal case to a higher court.

Purpose of Criminal Appeals

An appeal is not a re-trial of your criminal case. It is an opportunity to legally correct significant procedural or substantive errors that occurred in your trial. The higher court reviews the case and may reverse or remand (send back with instructions as to further proceedings) “reversible” errors of law — errors that were actually harmful to the defendant’s case.

At The Law Office of Corey Evan Parker, Attorney Parker focuses on appellate work.Mr. Parker can analyze your case in search of grounds for appeal, which might include:

  • Arrest without probable cause
  • Arrest without a warrant
  • Arrest in violation of search and seizure laws
  • Insufficient evidence provided by the prosecution to convict the defendant
  • Errors in ruling on admissibility of evidence
  • Incompetent or ineffective assistance from legal counsel
  • Prosecutor misconduct
  • Jury misconduct
  • Sentencing errors

If the lower court’s judgment is reversed, the appellate court generally sends the case back to the lower court, ordering further action, which may be:

  • A new trial
  • Modification or correction of the judgment
  • Reconsideration of the facts by the trial court
  • Additional evidence to be taken by the trial court
  • Consideration of the case in light of a recent appellate court decision

Short Timeframe to Appeal a Criminal Case

There is not much time allowed for appealing a criminal conviction. In California, a felony Notice of Appeal must be filed with the Superior Court within 60 days of the date a judgment was rendered. The same time limit applies to misdemeanor convictions. The time limit within which to file an appeal is even shorter in the state of Washington. It is in your best interest to speak with an attorney qualified to appeal your criminal case as soon as possible after judgment is rendered.

Appeal Your Criminal Case in Washington or California

If you have been wrongfully convicted or unjustly sentenced, The Law Office of Corey Evan Parker can help. Attorney Parker’s practice is focused on appeals.

Appeals are complicated and demanding and require extensive research and sophisticated legal reasoning. Contact our office today for a one-hour consultation with Corey Evan Parker with no obligation, in person or on the phone.

Share Post

Contact Our Office Today

Do you or a loved one have a trial case that you wish to appeal? If so, call the office or contact us at The Appellate Law Firm today to schedule a free consultation of your case and learn more about how to increase your chances of success with your appellate case.

Contact us