Call now: 877.412.4786
Text now: 424.304.0006

Family Law Appeals

When a decision in family court does not go the way you wanted, it is not just dollars and cents at stake, but oftentimes your ability to spend time with your children and be an ongoing part of their lives for the foreseeable future is on the line as well. Regardless of what type of decision that a family court judge has handed down, you may have the right and ability to overturn that decision on appeal.

The Appellate Law Firm represents individuals in appealing family law decisions and will advocate for a fair and just resolution on your family law matters, including those related to:

Appealing a Family Law Decision

In order to appeal a decision or order handed down by a family law judge in Washington, California, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio or Indiana, you need to act quickly to make your appeal. You should not wait for a final decision in the divorce case as a whole, but should contact an appeals attorney as soon as possible as the specific order that you wish to appeal is handed down. In Washington, a party has 30 days from the time the order was issued to appeal, while in California, a party has 60 days from the time a notice of entry of judgment was served to appeal (or longer if no service was made).

On appeal, the appellate court will look at the transcript of the lower court trial as well as the evidence that was submitted in order to determine whether the lower court judge made a mistake in applying the law. A skilled appeals attorney will focus on finding areas in which legal mistakes were made by the lower court and aggressively pursue those arguments on appeal.

Vacating a Family Law Decision

Where the lower court order that you wish to reverse was not based on a mistake in the judge applying the law, but rather based on errors of fact (intentional or unintentional) by the other party, such as hiding assets or making untrue claims about you or your children, then your better option may be to attempt to vacate the family law decision in the same court. If you are not sure, we are happy to make our best effort to provide direction on whether an appeal makes sense in your case.

Modifying or Terminating a Family Law Order

Finally, former spouses often with to modify or terminate a family law order related to custody, child support, or alimony, based on the fact that their financial or relational circumstances have changed. It is possible to do this but this would occur again at the lower court level and not on appeal.

Representation in Your Family Law Appeal

The above is simply an overview of the various options by which a family law order/decision can be later appealed, vacated, or modified/terminated. The Appellate Law Firm will take the time to understand your family law matter to determine what options are available to you, and discuss your best strategy for moving forward quickly and effectively. Appeals are time-sensitive, so please feel free to contact us to get started on your appeal.

Schedule A Consultation

Full Name

Email Address

Phone Number

Select your State

Reason for Consultation